Last Updated on February 17, 2019 by Johannes Kristjansson
When I think of a cruiser bike, I think of a 70’s beach scene. Ladies in bikinis and rollerskates.
Huge cruiser bikes cruising down the boardwalk with lady riders letting their Farrah Faucet hair blow in the wind. The women’s cruiser bike is the ultimate beach getaway transportation.
From a basic style that looks more like a hybrid bike to a full-on beach cruiser, there are a lot of things to love.
Ladies are especially prone to like this type of bike due to the beautiful style and whimsical impression they give. Who doesn’t want to look like Farrah Fawcett on their beach vacation?
What is a cruiser bike?
A cruiser bike is all about style. These bikes are usually a hybrid type bike with baloon tires and an upright seating position.
The handlebars come back farther and the seat is really wide. It’s all about a nice comfortable cruise, hence the name!
How to pick a women’s cruiser bike?
Picking a cruiser bike is more about appearance and comfort than anything else. However, there are a couple of other things to consider. Let’s dissect what you need to look for in a cruiser bike.
Obviously, if you are going to go for a leisurely cruise, comfort is going to be at the top of your list. You don’t want to be on a lovely beach vacation only to have a sore backside.
Beach cruiser’s seats are supposed to be extra wide naturally, but make sure that the seat itself is not too hard or soft. This one comes down to preference.
A big part of buying a cruiser bike is for the style. Lucky for you there are SO many options. Not so lucky for you, there are SO many options. Think about what colors you are naturally drawn to.
Going with a neutral color is always a sure bet that it will remain timeless. However, it’s always fun to step outside of the box a bit!
Because a cruiser bike is more for a leisurely ride, you don’t necessarily need all the bells and whistles, but boy are those fun!
You can get add-ons like baskets, bells, and more. Keep in mind your budget, but if you find a nice cruiser bike you like then you might want to pay a little extra. It may become a family heirloom.
If you are planning on bringing your ladies cruiser bike on a trip, you will want to consider how heavy the bike is.
Can you easily load it on and off a bike rack or in and out of your vehicle? If not, opt for a lighter weight version. Better yet, find someone that can do it for you. Problem solved.
TOP 4 Cruiser Bikes for Women
There are a whole lot of options of different women’s cruiser bikes on the market. We combed through the best of them and found some excellent options for you to choose from.
From low priced to high end and all of the colors of the rainbow, we’ve got a bike choice for you.
1. Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser
Our #1 pick for cruiser bikes for women is the Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser. It’s got options, options, and more options.
This ladies cruiser bike also has style and the classic retro beach vibe going on. Let’s see what the Urban Lady is all about.
There are some finite details to choose from for the Urban Lady. Let’s take a look at the nitty-gritty details.
- Comes 80% assembled
- Fits 4 to 6 feet tall woman (depending on size choice)
- Weight capacity 300 pounds
- Rear coaster brakes
- 26-inch or 24-inch option
- Optional fenders and bell combo
- Oversized seat with large springs
- 15-inch steel frame
- Aluminum wheels
- White wall balloon tires
- 44 different color, size, and extras combinations available
- Price goes for a little over $200 for basic and up from there
- Weighs 38 pounds
The Urban Lady has a lot to offer. Let’s walk through the things we liked most about this cruiser bike.
- There’s no getting around that this is a beautiful bike. It just screams weekend at the cape. Even if you don’t live or vacation there, you can get all the feels with this bike. There are so many different color options of pastels and neutrals. It’s a lovely retro feel no matter which colors you choose.
- Ease of Use
- I love that the Urban Lady comes 80% assembled, but there’s much more to it than that. The brakes are seriously easy to use and there isn’t a ton of gears to try and navigate either. This is one ride where once it’s put together, you can just cruise. Pun intended.
- Oh my goodness there are options on this beach cruiser. We already talked about all the color options but there’s more. You can get a 24-inch frame if you are between 4 and 5 foot tall (perfect for kids too!), and you can get a 26-inch frame if you are between 5 and 6 feet tall.
- There is an additional option for getting matching fenders and bell. Personally, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t want to add that on because, a bell? Yes, please. There’s also a couple of different seat colors as well.
- Built for Most Bodies
- Like mentioned in the options section, there is really a bike for about anyone. Although, if you are over 6 foot you are going to want to try and find a different option.
Well, we had to find SOMETHING wrong with this bike. It couldn’t all be sunshine and rainbows. Let’s take a look at the very few drawbacks on the Urban Lady.
- Tools Required
- The biggest complaint by far is that you need tools to assemble this bike. If you don’t have them, you either have to buy them (extra expense) or take it to a bike shop to assemble (extra expense). If you can find someone to do it for you for free, more power to you. Just annoying that they don’t make it more self-assembly friendly.
- Not for hilly areas
- A cruiser bike isn’t made to ride mountain paths, but this bike has no gears. If you plan on biking up and down some hills, you are going to get a serious workout. You could be like me and just get off and walk it up. Sometimes that’s just easier.
- Not lightweight
- 38 pounds isn’t super heavy, but it’s not a lightweight bike either. If you plan on bringing this with you on trips, that can be a hard issue to tackle. Loading it on and off a bike rack will take some oomph.
The Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser is our number 1 pick for a reason. I found hundreds of positive reviews for this bike. It’s stylish and classy. It is easy to use and will have you on your way to Farrah Fawcett hair in no time.
2. Sixthreezero Around The Block Women’s Cruiser
The sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Cruiser is a real beaut. If you are looking for a stylish bike that rides smooth, look no further. Let’s see why this women’s cruiser bike is our #2 pick.
Let’s check out what makes the Around the Block tick.
- 17-inch steel frame
- Rear rack
- Upright riding style
- Large dual spring seat
- Coaster brakes
- Single speed (3-speed, 7-speed, and 21-speed options available)
- 26-inch aluminum tires (also a 24-inch option)
- 2.125-inch wide white wall tires
- For 5 foot to 6 feet 2-inch women
- Wide handlebars
- Weighs 34 pounds
I really like the modern take with the vintage feel of the Around the Block. Let’s take a look at what else we loved the most.
- There’s not getting around it, the Around the Block has some serious style. I love the look of this bike. Its colors and design are expertly pulled together. Don’t be surprised if you turn some heads with this beauty.
- There’s a lot of different varieties of this particular model. You can get a 26 inch or 24 inches and it has 4 different gear options (single, 3, 7, and 21). It also has a rear rack installed so you can put on a basket or pannier.
- The handlebars and seat are also adjustable so you can really get a good fit.
- Starts at about $200 for the basic version. Goes up from there on price based on gears, brakes, size, etc.
- Ease of Use
- It comes partially assembled and most users say that it’s easy to put together. I also like the single speed and coaster brake option because it’s just a plain no brainer.
The Around the Block did have a couple of drawbacks, but overall still a winner.
- Assembly Instructions
- A common issue with the sixthreezero brand is their assembly instructions. They have a one size fits all instruction set that doesn’t work for every model. This is no different, however, it’s still fairly easy to pull together.
- May need tune up
- I highly recommend getting a bike tune-up regardless if you feel confident in your assembly skills. However, with the Around the Block, most experienced riders say that a tune-up is a necessity before riding.
- A little heavier
- Weighs 34 pounds which isn’t terrible. However, if you don’t want to hoist that amount of weight up and down off a rack, you may want to try and find a more lightweight option.
The sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Cruiser Bicycle is a gem of a bike. Between style and ease of use, it’s a durable bike that is sure to last you a few generations.
3. Huffy Nel Lusso Women’s Cruiser
Oh my lordy, I love the look of this bike. I know I’ve said that about the others but this one just takes the cake in the looks category. (long whistle) The Huffy Nel Lusso Women’s Cruiser belongs on a beach town near you.
Let’s take a closer look at all the intricate details of the Nel Lusso.
- 26-inch wheels
- Comes with rear rack, front basket, and cup holder
- Padded dual spring seat
- Matching fenders
- Dual density grips and pedals
- Single speed
- Coaster brake
- Steel frame
- 2.35-inch wide cream tires
- Quick release seat binder
- 200-pound weight limit
- 75% pre-assembled
The Nel Lusso isn’t just pretty, it boasts comfort and durability as well. Let’s look at some other features that we loved.
- I don’t think I can take this point home enough. From the beautiful cream tires to the leather basket, seat, handle grips, and cup holder, this bike just screams pretty.
- The steel frame and wide tires make sure that you aren’t going to be on a flimsy bike. It’s built to be a lake house or beach home staple.
- Easy to Use
- Coaster brakes and single speed make this bike as simple as can be to ride.
Even pretty things have drawbacks. The Huffy doesn’t have all positive feedback, unfortunately.
- Tools Required
- You will need extra tools for assembly. If you don’t have them, it’s best to take it to a bike shop to get assembled properly.
- This is not a lightweight little road bike. It’s steel frame and huge tires with all the extra options make sure of that.
- Single Speed
- Not made for hilly areas or hilly commutes. Easy to ride otherwise!
The Huffy Nel Lusso is the epitome of a cruiser bike style. You will want an immediate photo shoot after you get it put together. There’s nothing like a beautiful bike. The Nel Lusso makes sure of that.
4. Sixthreezero Women’s Beach Cruiser Bicycle
Another sixthreezero? You know it! The sixthreezero Women’s Beach Cruiser Bicycle is as efficient as it is pretty. It looks like an updated take on a classic, which is exactly what it is.
This really elegant design comes with a whole slew of details that will have you saying, “take my money!”.
- 26-inch wheel
- 17-inch frame
- Front and rear fenders
- Upright seating
- Balloon white wall tires
- Extra wide dual spring saddle
- Coaster brakes
- 1 speed, 3 speed, or 7 speed available
- 5 feet 4 inches to 6 feet 4 inches capability
- 85% assembled
- 18 different color, seat, speed varieties
- 38 pounds
- Curved long handlebars
Like I said before, the Beach Cruiser isn’t just a pretty face. Let’s check out the highlights of this particular model.
- Easy Assembly
- A lot of complaints so far have been on assembly, not with this bike. In fact, it comes almost completely assembled in your box making it a breeze for you to put together. Amen.
- Smooth Ride
- The wide saddle with double springs and extra fat balloon tires make this bike a dream to ride around on. It’s smooth and comfortable. Even if you hit some bumps, your bouquet of flowers won’t disintegrate.
- It’s elegant and sturdy. You can’t ask for much else with a beach cruiser bike and sixthreezero delivers.
There were a couple of things I didn’t like about this bike. Let’s take a closer look.
- Price Tag
- The price tag is a bit steep. You are starting at about $300. That’s not including if you want to add on a pretty basket, bell, or upgrade from a single speed.
- The pedals are not just one piece. Because of this, they seem to not want to stay together properly after some use. Taking the bike into a bike shop may alleviate this or you could just get some new pedals.
- 3-speed Gears Lackluster
- If you go with the 3-speed option, the gears seem to be pretty minimal. Meaning, if you are expecting a third gear, it’s going to feel like only a single or 2-speed.
The sixthreezero Women’s Beach Cruiser Bicycle has class and strength in one nice package. It’s meant to last you a long time while maintaining a timeless beauty. What’s not to love?
The Final Verdict
A women’s cruiser bike is a really fun investment that is also useful.
You can probably get away with buying one just because it means you are going to get a workout in along with some cheap transportation.
A ladies cruiser bike is the ultimate way to travel in nice weather.
Getting a cruiser bike doesn’t necessarily mean you have to have a beach house or even a vacation planned for that matter.
You could simply just want to look stellar cycling to your local floral shop. I mean, we’ve all had that daydream of flowers in our front basket on a beautiful bike, haven’t we?